This quick guide is meant to get the plugin installed and quickly working on a website. For more in depth information, please view the In-depth tutorials.
Flagged Content is installed like a normal plugin. Go to Plugins -> Add New. Click Upload Plugin -> Choose File, find the plugin zip file and select it. WordPress will now install the plugin. Activate the plugin after installation.
After the installation completes, there will be a new icon and link titled Flagged in the left admin sidebar. Hover over (or click) Flagged to reveal three options: Flagged, Forms, and Settings.
- Flagged: lists all flags submitted by users.
- Forms: forms users will need to complete and submit to flag a post, comment, etc.
- Settings: general, global settings for the plugin.
Click Forms. The forms page lists an overview of each form. The overview includes the fields, submission reasons and which content the form appears on. Forms can be activated or deactivated by using the bulk actions option.
By default, the plugin installs a form named “Post Form” to appear on posts. Click the form name to access the form’s settings. The settings consist of 6 sections and the following bullet points will provide a quick overview.
- Form: The form name can be changed here, whether the form is visible (active) or turned off (inactive) and which content this form should appear for. If you check Posts, Pages and Comments then the form will appear to visitors on these types of content.
- Flag Button: The flag button is clicked to display the form and can have its wording, style and location changed. The button can also be changed into a link and can be set to appear before or after the content.
- Fields: Each field within the form can be displayed and made optional or required, or the field can be turned off and it will not be displayed. Enter reasons into the reason field, 1 per line, and each will be presented to the user as a reason they can choose from.
- Submit Button: Wording and styling for the submit button in the form.
- Messages: Instructions can be added to the top of the form and messages shown to users can be changed.
- Email: Email notifications can be sent to one or more administrators each time a user successfully submits this form. This lets you be informed as soon as whichever content you chose for this form is flagged.
Click the Save All Changes button to save changes. Click Flagged -> Forms in the sidebar or the forms page link in the success message at the top to return to the previous page.
Click Flagged (or Flagged -> Flagged) to see the flags page. The list will be empty if no flags have been submitted yet. Test submit a flag to have it appear within this screen.
- Visit your front end (the site regular visitors see)
- Find and access content you had selected for the form to flag. If no changes were made to the default form then click on a post.
- Use the form to submit a flag
- Go back to the admin backend screen and click Flagged -> Flagged.
Flags colored in red are pending and have not been dealt with. The user’s reason and description (if entered) will be shown along with the content that was flagged. The user information and date the flag was submitted are also shown. Hover over the flag’s row to reveal additional actions such as viewing or editing the content that was flagged, or deleting the flag itself.
The bulk actions allow multiple flags to be deleted at once. The bulk actions also give the ability to change the status for one or more flags. Changing the flag status to completed will change the color to blue and indicates the flag has been reviewed and dealt with. This allows flags to be saved for reference for a later date. Or, flags can be deleted to keep this list clear.